Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Some come and some go

Well, sad news. It happens every once in awhile to everyone who keeps critters. My 2008 female bahia de LA died this last weekend.

She was a VERY small neonate (look at her compared to my thumb), and after eating only once last fall she refused food. I tried everything short of force feeding, then I put her down for winter brumation. During brumation I treated her cage with a small amount of Permethrin, which she did not handle well. None of my other snakes showed any affects, but she was my only neo in brumation at that point and they are known to have a harder time processing Permethrin at brumation temps.

After brumation she ate only once more, and again began refusing food. I tried every trick, and when she started losing mass I began force feeding. Even being forcefed she never grew or gained mass, and finally died.



On a happier note, a breeder friend whose website I manage is getting some of snakes together to send me sometime soon. I believe he's got a couple nice rosys for me, and if I'm lucky he might just hook me up with a couple CA mountain kings. He breeds some beauties! :)

No comments: